Friday, December 14, 2007

Year of the Breakdowns

In the past year I have had to replace a washer, a dryer, a garbage disposal, a microwave, two cell phones (one broke and one was faulty, as was its replacement), a standard telephone, and (the latest) a food processor. One item still pending is an answering machine, but that can wait to be replaced because I do have voice mail on my cell phone. God only knows what item is next in line. I am beginning to feel jinxed!

Re the food processor: I had bought a bag of oranges from a roadside vendor for my annual marmalade production, and after the first two oranges my food processor broke and I had to finish the rest of the batch using a knife and slicing my hand. This is not easy, as I like the slices paper thin. I decided that I would never do another batch by hand, so I went shopping. Fortunately, I found a discount store and got a beautiful Cuisinart machine, a combo blender and processor for less than half price (but still costly for my Christmas-challenged budget). It is POWERFUL. In fact, it is so powerful that I doubt I will ever have to use the "high" button! It sits on my counter like a powerful beast that knows it is heavy, strong, and beautiful, and ready to leap into action. Needless to say I treat it with great respect. The first orange went through in a nano second and produced "microtomed" thin slices. Amazing. I love it. I will try to send a picture of my final product along with my (I hope) faithful friend.

No comments: